|A Joint Conference of AKES, RCIE, KCISS, BOK, POSRI and KIF
Program and Downloadable Papers (as of August 9)
|Korea and the World Economy, X
'Challenges after the Recent Global Turbulences'
August 12 - 13, 2011, Claremont McKenna College, USA
Conference Pamphlet (Finalized on August 4)
List of Participants (as of August 5)
Claremont McKenna College: Campus Map and the Location of the Conference
- Basic Information
- The hotel is the Double Tree Hotel, 555 Foothill Blvd., Claremont, CA 91711
- The listed phone (not to be used for reservations, but useful if you need directions upon arrival) is (909) 626-2411
- For participants who plan to arrive by car, there is ample parking at the hotel.
- The Double Tree Hotel is located within waking distance from the Claremont McKenna College
- The contact person is Shirlene Maldonado, Director of Sales Direct; phone #: (909) 445-1824; FAX # (909) 445-1829; e-mail: email@example.com.
- Hotel Inforamtion (Click Here)
- How to make reservations
Directions and Transportations (Click Here)
- The town of Claremont is located 35 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.
- From LA International Airport (LAX):
- Los Angeles International Airport is approximately 50 miles west of Claremont.
- If you come in via LAX, then ground transportation is the only means of getting to Claremont
- Taxis are expensive, especially during rush hours
- The cheapest means are airport shuttles (shared rides with typically no more than three stops). Among them, SuperShuttle is the largest.
- If you rent a car at LAX, the drive to Claremont is approximately one hour, but closer to two hours during the rush hour. There is plenty of parking at the Double Tree hotel.
- Los Angeles Airport Shuttle Service from LAX Airport
- CLAIM YOUR LUGGAGE, PROCEED OUTSIDE AND LOOK FOR THE SHARED RIDE VAN SIGN ON THE INSIDE CURB JUST OUTSIDE OF BAGGAGE CLAIM. OUR GUEST SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE DRESSED IN A BLUE SUPERSHUTTLE UNIFORM WILL ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR LAX TRANSPORTATION NEEDS.
- From Ontario International Airport (ONT):
- Claremont is located about ten miles west of the Ontario International Airport
- Ontario International Airport is an easy taxi ride (10-15 minutes) from Claremont
- Or You may take a shuttle bus
- The CMC campus is within walking distance from the hotel, but CMC will provide shuttle service between the hotel and the campus.
||Ehung Gi Baek, President, The Association of Korean Economic Studies , Sangmyung University
Kar-yiu Wong, Director, Research Center for International Economics , University of Washington
Sven W. Arndt, Professor, Claremont McKenna College
Thomas Willett, Director, The Claremont Institute for Economic Policy Studies, Claremont Grduate University
Jun Il Kim, Chief Economist, The Bank of Korea
Joon Han Kim, President, POSCO Research Institute
Tae Joon Kim, President, Korea Institute of Finance
|Organizing Units :
||The Association of Korean Economic Studies (AKES)
University of Washington Research Center for International Economics (RCIE)
Keck Center for International Strategic Studies, Claremont McKenna College (KCISS)
The Bank of Korea (BOK)
POSCO Research Institute (POSRI)
Korea Institute of Finance (KIF)
||KB Financial Group
SHINHAN Financial Group
Hana Financial Group
Korea Deposit Insurance Corporation (KDIC)
Federation of Korean Industries (FKI)
Korea Development Institute (KDI)
Korea Institute of Public Finance (KIPF)
Korea Institute for Industrial Economics and Trade (KIET)
Korea Institute for International Economic Policy (KIEP)
SK Research Institute for SUPEX Management (SKRI)
Korea Insurance Research Institute (KIRI)
Hyundai Research Institute (HRI)
LG Economic Research Institute (LGERI)
The Korea Times
Claremont Institute for Economic Policy Studies, Claremont Graduate University (CIEP)
||Wankeun Oh, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (co-chair)
Kar-yiu Wong, University of Washington (co-chair)
Sven W. Arndt, Claremont McKenna College
Hong-Tack Chun, Korea Development Institute
Shin-ichi Fukuda, University of Tokyo
Won Joong Kim, Kangwon National University
||Thomas Willet, Claremont McKenna College (co-chair)
Eun Sook Seo, Sangmyung University (co-chair)
Sven W. Arndt, Claremont McKenna College
Hyung Sun Choi, Kyung Hee University
Kyeongwon Yoo, Sangmyung University
||Hyun-Hoon Lee, Kangwon National University (Chair, Editor of Korea and the World Economy)
Joshua Aizenman, University of California, Santa Cruz
Charles Harvie, University of Wollongong
Chung Mo Koo, Kangwon National University
Jae-Young Lim, Korea University
Hyeon-seung Huh, Yonsei University
Fukunari Kimura, Keio University
Elial Sanidas, Seoul National University
This is the tenth in the series of conferences on "Korea and the World Economy." Previous ones were held in Seoul, Korea (July 2002), Seattle, USA (August 2003), Seoul, Korea (July 2004), Seattle, USA (December 2005), Seoul, Korea (July 2006), Wollongong, Australia (July 2007), and Seoul and Chuncheon, Korea (June 2008), Hong Kong (July 2009) and Songdo, Korea (June 2010).
Economists, policy-makers, and practitioners are invited to submit papers on Korea, Asia-Pacific, and the world economy. Both theoretical and empirical papers are welcome. Papers in the following areas are especially sought:
- Challenges after the recent global turbulences
- Global inflation and monetary policy
- Fiscal sustainability
- East Asian economic cooperation
- Energy, climate change and green growth
- New directions for industrial policy
- New challenges for the Korean Economy
If interested, please send a draft of your paper or an extended abstract (500+ words long) in English, together with your name, affiliation, academic position, mail and e-mail addresses, and phone and fax numbers, by May 15, 2011 to Won Joong Kim, or Kar-yiu Wong (submission via e-mail is preferred):
Won Joong Kim, Department of Economics, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon 200-701, Korea. <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Kar-yiu Wong, Department of Economics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195-3330, U.S.A. <email@example.com>
Papers will be selected through a competitive peer review. Notification of acceptance will be sent out around May 30, 2011. The final version of all papers for presentation will be due by July 15, 2011. The conference will be held in Claremont McKenna College, USA (August 12 - 13, 2011).
Publication: All presenters will be invited (but not obligated) to submit their presented papers for publication in Korea and the World Economy (formerly known as the Journal of the Korean Economy), the English-language journal of the Association of Korean Economic Studies.
- Abstract Submission: By May 15, 2011
- Notification of Acceptance: By May 30, 2011
- Full Paper Submission: By July 15, 2011
- Welcome Reception: August 11, 2011
- Conferences: August 12-13, 2010
The page was last revised on July 6, 2011.